Yes, I have gone BLOGGING crazy!

So, I created this blog for the purpose of typing out all the great recipe's I have in my kitchen, and living room, and on my desk, and in the bedroom, and the clippings from newspapers that are tucked into books, etc.... I really have a goal of creating a cookbook for my kitchen once I have them typed out. So my thought process is this: type out a recipe as often as I can, copy and paste it to the blog for "proof" I typed it out and to share it, then when I have tried the recipe take a photo of it to add to the blog/book and comment on how it tastes. Simple enough right? Ha! I have been trying to do this for the past ten years. We'll see how far I get. Feel free to leave me your favorite recipe and a comment on the ones I post!!

Monday, January 17, 2011

Thai Chicken Soup

Thai Chicken Soup
Makes: 6 servings

4 C Chicken broth
2 kaffir lime leaves (or grated zest of 1 lime – see note)
1 3 inch piece lemon grass, thinly sliced
1 3 inch piece fresh ginger; peeled and grated
3 green onions, trimmed and julienned
1 tsp curry powder
½ tsp ground cumin
1 small fresh red Thai chile pepper, seeded and ribs removed, sliced sideways
2 cooked boneless skinless chicken breast halves, shredded
1 C shitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
1 T fish sauce
½ C thinly sliced carrots
1 C fresh cilantro leaves (plus a little more for garnish)
½ C bean sprouts
Coarse salt
Juice of ½ lime, plus wedges for garnish
Fresh mint leaves for garnish

In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil.  Add the lime leaves, lemon grass, ginger, green onions; curry powder, cumin, chile, chicken, mushrooms and fish sauce.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.  Stir in carrots, the 1 C cilantro and bean sprouts.  Simmer for 5 more minutes.
Remove lime leaves and discard.  Season with salt and lime juice.  Ladle soup into shallow soup bowls. Garnish with cilantro, lime wedges and mint.  Serve immediately.
Note: Kaffir lime leaves have an exotic floral-citrus aroma.  They can be found at Asian markets.  You can freeze the leaves for up to two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment