Yes, I have gone BLOGGING crazy!

So, I created this blog for the purpose of typing out all the great recipe's I have in my kitchen, and living room, and on my desk, and in the bedroom, and the clippings from newspapers that are tucked into books, etc.... I really have a goal of creating a cookbook for my kitchen once I have them typed out. So my thought process is this: type out a recipe as often as I can, copy and paste it to the blog for "proof" I typed it out and to share it, then when I have tried the recipe take a photo of it to add to the blog/book and comment on how it tastes. Simple enough right? Ha! I have been trying to do this for the past ten years. We'll see how far I get. Feel free to leave me your favorite recipe and a comment on the ones I post!!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Crockpot Curried Goat

Ingredients:

Juice of one lemon or lime
4 1/2 lbs goat shoulder meat (Does not have to be a quality cut -it is up to you)
2 tsp all spice (or 3/4 tsp each of nutmeg, ground cloves, and ground cinnamon)
3 Tbsp Curry powder
1 Tbsp paprika
2 leeks, chopped w/o the tops (greens)
2 medium yellow onions chopped
4 tomatoes chopped
5 sm red chillies (left whole if you like it hot, seeded if you prefer a milder heat)
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 knobs fresh ginger, finely chopped (remember to peel it first!)
Salt & pepper to taste
2-3 sprigs of Thyme (if you don't have any you can substitute 1 tsp dried thyme)
2 bay leaves
oil for browning the meat
2 C Boiling water
1 C coconut milk
3 T honey

The spices, oil, and bay leaves ready for mixing.

Preparation:

Wash the goat meat, if you have a whole goat shoulder you can decide to put it into the crockpot whole (if it fits!) or chop it up, it is your decision.  I left mine whole.  Keep the bones as they will add flavor to the dish.

With the oil, brown the meat so that just the outer surface is browned.  Place meat into crockpot.

Mix all spices, lemon or lime juice, water, dash of oil (I used about 1 Tbs), bay leaves, salt and pepper, mix.  Set aside.

Prepare all the vegetables, add to the spice mix, mix thoroughly.


I decided to keep my goat shoulder whole.  Here it is browning.

Veggies

Mixed with spices.

Place the veggie/spices into the crock pot making sure to cover the meat.  Turn crock pot onto low and simmer 5-6 hrs or until tender. 

De-bone your meat and discard the bones.

 Add the coconut milk and honey just before serving.

Adding coconut milk and honey.

Curried Goat!

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this dish.  Enjoy!
Also, the goat meat I used was from Moon Fire farms in Central Oregon.  If you are near there and need a goat shoulder give Joene a call!  Visit their link here: MoonFire Farm


No comments:

Post a Comment